NEWS - EVENTS - UPDATES
Current as of 10.2.22 - 10 AM
- THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE OF SOME OFFICE SERVICES: The former clerk departed as of 5 PM Friday, September 30, 2022. At this juncture, the clerk's office is not occupied except for election-related duties (*) and no provisions have been made for other clerk-specific duties to be performed. What happens to the clerk's non-election-related statutory duties and the myriad of other jobs the former clerk voluntarily performed is yet to be determined. Please see the STAFF CONTACT & INFO page for all other elected or contractual personnel office hours and services, which continue.
- FOR ANY ELECTIONS-RELATED SERVICES: Starting October 1st, contact Sondra Halliday. Please communicate through email@example.com or the township phone. Her office hours are Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9-Noon. While the board failed to appoint a new clerk, the board has appointed Halliday to perform election-specific duties indefinitely; however, at any point between now and November, the board may attempt to reach consensus on a candidate to replace Sullivan. (Any new clerk would then appoint her/his own deputy.)
- A SPECIAL MEETING was held at 9 AM on Monday, September 26, 2022 at the township hall. The purpose was to appoint a new clerk due to the resignation of Clerk Sue Sullivan as of 5 PM Friday, September 30. All five current board members were in attendance. Correspondence and Public comment all reflected support for Halliday. The board voted twice, attempting to name either Sondra Halliday, the current deputy, or applicant Melanie Jensen-Doehring; both votes resulted in ties and thus failed (Sullivan was not allowed to vote on her own replacement.) Further, the board passed two resolutions: 1) appointing current deputy clerk to perform the election-specific duties until that time there is a selection of a clerk, either by the Board appointment by Nov. 14, 2022 or by the electorate in 2023, effective close of business September 30, 2022, with the title of Elections Deputy and a salary of $30.00 per hour; and 2) to extend recruitment efforts in the hope of identifying additional candidates for the position who might generate support from a majority of the Board prior to the 45 day deadline, which believed to be November 14, 2022. [If the board does not appoint a new clerk by 11.14.22, an irreversible process begins when the county clerk calls for a special election, political parties name their candidates, and a primary is held on May 2023 followed by an election in August 2023.]
- VOLUNTEERS and WORKERS NEEDED:
- Elections: We need election workers! Click here to check out state guidelines and contact the township clerk for more information. At this time, in the interest of balance, those volunteers affiliated with the Republican Party are especially being sought. Compensation is provided.
- Board of Review: An alternate member is needed on this citizen's review board that sits 3 times a year to hear protests to constituents' tax property assessments, plus grants exemptions (such as veterans or poverty) and corrects errors in records. Go to our "BOR" webpage for more information. Compensation is provided.
- Cemetery Committee: If you're interested in the historical aspects of our two cemeteries, we are looking for someone to work on an historical compendium documenting some of the more interesting gravesites. We are also looking for a committee member who has family in East Cemetery and would like to be involved with the business end of running a cemetery. See Supervisor Ferris.
- Budget & Finances Committee: This "sub" committee is a new idea and never been formed before. Pending approval of the board, it will serve as another layer to our government's system of checks-as-balances. Details as to the scope of the work will be forthcoming. Contact Supervisor Ferris.